The Woods in Your Backyard
Learning to Create and Enhance Natural Areas Around Your Home
This guide promotes the stewardship on small land parcels for the owner's enjoyment and for improved environmental quality. Written for educators and landowners of one to ten acres of wooded or unmowed natural areas in the eastern United States and for land owners that want to turn mowed areas into woodlands.
By reading this guide, completing the activities, and reviewing the resources, you will achieve a better understanding of your land and develop a strategy to achieve your goals.
- Understanding the benefits of managing your land
- Mapping your property
- Assessing why you own it and what you hope it will become
- Understanding property
- Learning basics of tree identification, forestry and habitat management
- Assessing and improving your property's water resources, recreational possibilities and aesthetic appel
- Choosing a few backyard projects to help meet your goals
108 pages, 8 1/2 x 11, spiral bound, color, overview of native plants and invasive plants of eastern United States, 2015